Taking your car on holiday? Here’s Croyland's tips on driving abroad

As the summer holiday nears, our excitement only grows. Whether you are taking your children off on a fun-filled beach holiday, enjoying a road-trip with the gang or even whisking that special someone off on a romantic getaway, the last thing you want to be wondering about is whether you have the right documents for driving your vehicle abroad.

When it comes to giving advice, the Croyland team are particularly well-travelled and, thanks to our position as an AA registered dealer, we are aware of all the documents you need to take with you on your break.


Always have your documents on hand as you may be asked to show these during your stay.

These documents include:

  • A valid full driving licence (not provisional)
  • Your passport
  • Your travel insurance documents
  • A copy of your DVLA driver record and a licence check code if needed.
  • An International Driving Permit (ensure you check which countries require this)
  • Your vehicle's registration document (V5c) (the original not a copy)
  • Your motor insurance certificate (your insurer may require knowledge of your trip prior and only provide third party cover when you do.)
  • Your Visa (if applicable)


Particularly if you are travelling to Europe, it is often compulsory to take certain equipment, so it is just as important among your suncream, towels and summer essentials!

  • Have your GB sign completely visible (otherwise you might be fined)
  • Reflective Jackets
  • Warning Triangle
  • Headlights (Headlamp Beam Converters)
  • Rear-view mirrors

Other possible requirements include: Breathalyser, First Aid kit and Headlamp Adjustments

These final requirements are dependent on country, so ensure you read up before your journey.

For other handy holiday tips, check out the AA website for further guidance: https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/dri...